One squash plant had vanished, another had wilt on all its leaves, and a third had its stems swollen with vine borers. They came out, leaving one Zephyr squash and one watermelon plant. They aren’t flowering much, either, so I don’t think my plot is likely to attract any squash bees.
The lettuce was starting to send up little towers of flowers, so I pulled them all out. Some of the daikon were also flowering, so I left the flowers for the bees, and pulled all the plants for the greens. The turnips I also pulled. Though neither the daikon nor the turnips formed much by way of roots, they filled a nice bag of greens.
The coolest part was the beautiful eggplants curling in the air where none were before. The next coolest was the bountiful shallots I dug up. Nearly every clove I planted had turned into about four more. The few onions I found were only about the same size as the shallots.
Add in the parsnips I thinned out, and today’s harvest was a respectable bowl of food.