The batch of compost I started last month is all cooked up and spread out. I actually emptied it last week, but I kept finding something else to post until I almost forgot about the compost. So maybe things are a little out of order, but the compost makes everything else possible.
As usual, this took just about four weeks to finish. Compost is done when it’s all black looking and earthy smelling, and you can’t tell what it used to be. Aside from the mushrooms, nothing sprouted in it, so I must have been more careful than usual about keeping weed seeds out. And squash seeds.
What really slows me down is finding a space to put it, or should I say making space. The last thing I want to do is feed a bunch of weeds with compost. But this week, I finally got around to weeding the corner under the lilac bush, which left enough open, dry looking ground to feed with yummy compost.